(This article may or may not contain affiliate links. What does that mean?)
We've never done a staycation. I've never seen the point. Our house is fine. We have a pool. We have a grill in the backyard. We have a great view of some pretty hills (ok, they're often brown but they're better than concrete). We're a 15-minute drive from Zuma beach. WE are the staycation. If we're going to pay for a hotel, it better be in another wonderful location. Unless...we are having some stuff done to the house.
The day we got down to sharing one bathroom and one bedroom for five people - four of whom are male - we realized we needed to find another wonderful location. We were able to leave the dog at home with our oldest - who is not partial to sharing hotel rooms with brothers whose pastime is inventing devious ways to torture each other - although our chosen home away from home: the Hyatt Regency Westlake allowed dogs on the first floor!
NO TIME TO ENJOY THIS ARTICLE NOW? PIN IT OR BOOKMARK FOR LATER!
Our room was lovely with a balcony view of trees. The beds were super cozy and passed the jumping test.
We are a very social family and wouldn't let the fact that we're temporarily homeless stop us from having playdates. We're not quitters.
Plus the Hyatt Regency Westlake has a great happy hour. Many drinks are only $5 and apps are discounted. The perfect antidote to being displaced in the middle of having a million things that need to get done.
Since we know the area, I wanted to go out for dinner but the boys begged for burgers by the pool and the bar staff happily delivered them to us. I got to sit, they got to eat, everyone was happy during the happy hour that goes from 4pm-7pm.
Once our friends left, we explored the area and found a cache of activities on the lawn next to the pool.
DON'T MISS! The Best Food in the North Carolina Mountains
We got to spend two nights at the beautiful Hyatt Regency Westlake and observed the hotel hosting many meetings and buffets that were beautifully set up. The next night, after dinner, we used the s'mores kits offered by the gift shop at the fire ring next to the big lawn.
I'd say they were a hit.
And we started a trend.
The Breakfast Buffet
One of the boy's favorite parts, of course, was the breakfast buffet. There were many hot and cold options and the boys loved picking out their own food. And mommy loved that she didn't have to prepare it. I thought the buffet was reasonably priced at $18 for adults and $10 for kids.
So while I was checking out, I started chatting with a guy and told him why we were there. He figured since we were locals we'd know the area and asked if there was a Denny's around the hotel. Denny's? I thought. Denny's is for college students at 3 in the morning after drinking all night. I told him about an awesome breakfast place and decided to write up a little insider guide for folks who will be visiting the Westlake area.
INSIDER AREA GUIDE
- Breakfast - Cici's - you can go here every day for a year and still not eat every creative thing on the menu. Well. Maybe you can but you'd have to really commit.
- Lunch - JOI Cafe - organic, gluten-free, vegan - AAAAHMAZING! Everything is delicious. I don't know how they do it. 2855 Agoura Road, Thousand Oaks
- Dinner/Dancing/Wine tasting - it's all in the same area, owned by the same guy. Mediterraneo for dinner, Stonehaus for an outdoor wine tasting experience (music on weekends) and dancing at Bogies. After dinner or drinks, tell your server you're going to Bogies to get free admission (no cover charge, no waiting in line).
- Wine Tasting - Malibu Wines - it's gorgeous here. Outdoors and lots of trees. Check their calendar because sometimes they have comedy or music.
- Shopping - SOTO Westlake - super cute women's clothing without the crazy price tag. 2899 Agoura Rd, Westlake Village
- OR - The Oaks Mall
- Hair cut/style - Salon Coronado - I used to have to drive to Hollywood until a woman who works at SOTO showed me this place. Very hip and the owner is super sweet and incredibly talented. 2900 Townsgate Rd Ste 116 Westlake Village
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS ARTICLE, PLEASE CONSIDER PINNING OR SHARING IT!